Dr. Diana Coffey Consultant Psychiatrist MRCPsych
Experienced psychiatrist for private appointments
I am an experienced and compassionate Adult consultant psychiatrist with over twenty years of psychiatric practice. I worked as a consultant psychiatrist in the NHS, the independent sector and the Ministry of Defense.
Currently, I run my own private and medicolegal practice. I have practising privileges at Spire hospital Portsmouth and Best Practice South in Cowplain, Hampshire. I am also one of the mental health practitioners at the Surrey Healthcare Clinic in Guildford, Surrey.
Prior to my psychiatric training, I worked in general medicine and surgery. This invaluable experience formed my overall clinical management of patients, with emphasis not only on mental health symptoms but also physical health issues. I remain interested in new developments and aim to keep up to date with medical progress. This ensures that my patients benefit from a holistic assessment and treatment to maximise their recovery chances.
I completed my initial psychiatric training at a highly regarded Guy’s and St Thomas’ training scheme in London, then went on to complete my specialist training in forensic psychiatry at equally prestigious and competitive North Thames training scheme in London and Essex. I successfully completed my training and was awarded the Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2005, and the Certificate of Completion of Training in 2008.
I have additional training in psychotherapy – in 2010 I successfully completed the intensive training course in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy that was organised by prominent American psychologist Marsha Linehan. Since then, I apply these psychotherapeutic skills in my practice.
I am on the General Medical Council specialist register in Forensic psychiatry. I am approved under section 12(2) of the Mental Health Act as having special experience in the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders.
During my NHS and independent career, I was always involved in teaching and supervision of other doctors and mental health professionals. I was actively involved in the management and clinical governance process. I held a position of a Clinical Director at one of the independent hospitals.
For the past five years, I have been an accredited medical appraiser and provided medical appraisals for the members of the Independent Doctors Federation. As an appraiser, I am involved in regular Quality improvement audits and attend regular training events for medical appraisers.
When making decisions about treatment, I apply the best current evidence- based information and guidelines to help my patients. This includes NICE guidelines, advice from the BNF (British National Formulary), the Royal College of Psychiatrists and other relevant sources.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Full registration with a licence to practise by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrist (MRCPsych)
- Specialist Register in Forensic Psychiatry with the GMC (General Medical Council)
- Certificate of Completion of Training in Forensic Psychiatry (CCT)
- Approved Clinician and section 12(2) approved under the Mental Health Act
- Cardiff University Law School Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate and CPR35 Certificate
- Member of the Independent Doctors Federation
- Member of the General Adult Psychiatry and Neuropsychiatry Faculty at the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Member of a Special interest group at the Royal College of Psychiatrists in Private Practice & Independent Practice and Women & Mental Health